Saturday, June 8, 2013

T-Minus 3

Not counting the weekend (and who counts the weekend, really?), I have three days until I will no longer be a police officer. Instead, I will be a writer.

Full time.

How have I prepared for this since making the decision to retire?

Well, I've told a lot of people.

And I've lined up a couple of teaching gigs as a sideline.

I've done some more planning on our vacation to Italy in 18 days.

Watched hockey with my wife (it is the playoffs, you know).

On the writing front, I mapped out the projects I want to accomplish by the end of 2014 (I'll share more on that soon).

I kept up my reading of Joe Konrath's blog, A Newbie's Guide to Publishing (I'd call him the pioneer of indie publishing, if you're asking who he is).

I even made some great spreadsheets to keep track of project progress, and downloaded some interesting word count programs.

But I haven't put those programs to much use yet.

Nope. Haven't written a word.

Someone I work with asked me if I was getting scared, or excited.

I said, "Yes."

But honestly, it's mostly the latter. I feel like I'm standing on the blue line, helmet in hand, listening to the last strains of the national anthem, getting ready to play the game I love. There's always butterflies, but it's a good kind of nervous. More like pent up enthusiasm and pre-game excitement.

So I feel okay about not diving into my WIP (it's called Chisolm's Debt, and I'm maybe half way through it as a part time writer...we'll see how quick the full time version can go). Planning vacations, spending time with my family, and enjoying the last few days of a twenty year career isn't a bad way to spend three more days.

Wednesday the 12th, there will be a retirement celebration. Being as it's a policeman's farewell, it's at an Irish bar. Thursday, I'm not so sure what kind of shape I'll be in. Just being honest.

Which means that on Friday the 14th the puck drops on my first day at my new job.

Stick around. It'll be fun.

1 comment:

Dave M. said...

Congrats again, Frank! I'm sorry for those you work with that they will lose you and what you bring... but I'm excited for you and look forward to more progression in the works.

Stay safe, brother!
Dave M.